Business Innovation Advisor, Wood Products
The Northern Forest Center
Concord NH or Home based in Northern Forest region
BUSINESS INNOVATION ADVISOR, WOOD PRODUCTS
The Northern Forest Center, Inc. (the Center) is a nonprofit
organization that creates bold possibilities that give rise to vibrant
communities in Northern New Hampshire and across the four-state
Northern Forest region. Since 1997, the Center has implemented
programs and advanced policies that connect community, economy and environment to accelerate inclusive prosperity across the 30-million-acre Northern Forest of northern Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and New
York. Our work advances both a shared commitment to stewardship of the Northern Forest landscape and an economy that delivers purpose, innovation and widespread opportunity for people.
The Center seeks an experienced individual to lead our efforts to encourage and facilitate innovation in the wood products sector through a portfolio of business assistance services. The objective of this work is to create, strengthen and sustain businesses that create markets for products and services from the Northern Forest landscape and provide well-paying, meaningful jobs and careers for Northern Forest residents.
The Center is a dynamic organization; our programs and our staff constantly adapt to meet the needs and realize the opportunities of the communities and businesses we serve. This position requires an individual
with strong listening and relationship-building skills, business and financial acumen, and a desire to help business owners across a rural, forested region innovate and achieve success.
Title: Business Innovation Advisor (Exempt, full-time 40 hours per week)
Location: Concord, NH or a home office within the Northern Forest region (ME, NH, VT, northern NY)
Summary: The Business Innovation Advisor works closely and extensively with wood products businesses across the Northern Forest region, delivering 1-1 business assistance and other services that help these
companies create and sustain good jobs tied to the forest. The Advisor is also responsible for supporting CEO peer to peer networking and learning. The Center’s wood products innovation programs are targeted to
businesses with ten or more employees and annual revenues of $1 million and up. The Advisor works under the direction of the Center’s Vice President and in close collaboration with other Center staff.
The Center’s team-centric approach places a premium on the ability to demonstrate independent initiative balanced with close collaboration within a highly integrated team of professional staff and networks of
• Lead the continued development and expansion of the Northern Forest Board Forum, a leadership peer advisory group designed for CEOs, business owners, or senior leadership of small to midsize private wood products companies located in the Northern Forest.
• Build and maintain relationships with wood products companies across the four Northern Forest states, as a basis for brokering connections between companies in the areas of supply chain, executive leadership, workforce development, technology, and more.
• Provide direct business technical assistance to wood products companies across the Northern Forest region, and when appropriate connect businesses with customized technical assistance in areas
including but not limited to financial management and planning, organizational development, sales and marketing, workforce, development, developing new products and other strategies necessary for business success. Depending on the skills and experiences of the Advisor, the Advisor may provide certain services directly. Where the assistance required is beyond the knowledge of the Advisor and as resources allow, the work is to connect the company with other specialized providers.
• Develop or evolve programs and services to serve the needs of Northern Forest wood products businesses.
• Provide financial analysis to inform placement of capital (grants, investments, tax credits, etc.) into Center business development projects across the region.
• Support businesses in pursuing public, philanthropic and investment capital to pursue innovations and expansions.
• Support the development of annual workplans and budgets for wood products business innovation programs in consultation with other staff; track and drive progress toward annual benchmarks.
• Represent the Center in public forums, networks, and presentations.
• Share common organizational and office management duties asked of all team members in a small non-profit.
Qualifications: A strong candidate will present a mix of educational and professional experiences that have equipped them with and demonstrated the following qualifications and characteristics:
• Strong financial acumen with the ability to fully understand and analyze financial statements. Prior experience as a credit analyst a plus.
• Keen interest in learning about Northern Forest wood products businesses; strong listening, querying, and synthesizing skills.
• Demonstrated ability to identify and assess business needs, strengths, and weaknesses and match businesses with appropriate assistance for success.
• Strong interpersonal skills that balance the confidence to give advice with the humility to listen.
• Desire and aptitude to network and make connections within and across sectors and geographies.
• Willingness to travel frequently and often overnight across the region to meet with business leaders at their businesses throughout the region (when public health circumstances allow).
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative in the context of a highly integrated and networked staff and partner team.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
Salary and Benefits: The Business Innovation Advisor is a salaried full-time position with a salary range of $60,000-$70,000; starting salary will be commensurate with experience. The Center provides a full benefits
package including health insurance and generous vacation time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work expected for this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing your interest and qualifications to email@example.com with the subject line “Business Innovation Advisor.” No calls, please.
The Northern Forest Center is committed to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion and is proud to maintain employment practices based upon individual qualifications, merits, and achievements. All decisions
to recruit, hire, promote, and release from employment are made without discriminating according to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, political beliefs or disability.
Additional Information: https://nfcenter.org/BusinessInnovation
Contact Name: Joe Short
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org