Extension Field Specialist – Natural Resources (County Extension Forester)
University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension
Keene, NH – Cheshire County
Located in Cheshire County NH with office in Keene, NH.
Provide forestry education & assistance to landowners, natural resource professionals, forest industry, communities, volunteers, towns, county government, state agencies, natural resource organizations through:
1. Woodlot visits with landowners, providing technical & educational advice about forest stewardship, including timber, wildlife, best management practices, invasive species, recreation, threatened and endangered species, others based on landowner’s objectives.
2. Programs and assistance for county residents, businesses, and communities on forest management and planning, wildlife, community forestry, Christmas trees, maple syrup, forest health, shade trees, estate planning, current use, forest products marketing, selling timber, cost-share, water resources, wetlands, land protection, forest protection, forest laws, and access to resources related to the economic viability of forests, forest-related businesses, and communities.
3. Manage the county lands through timber sales, stewardship plans, marketing information and assistance, cost-sharing, and other revenue generation.
4. Public awareness promotion of the benefits and uses of local forests for products, wildlife habitat, water resources, carbon sequestering, tourism, and quality of life.
5. Support of programs for youth in forestry, wildlife, and related areas.
6. Recruiting, supporting, and using natural resource volunteers.
7. Marketing of UNH Cooperative Extension programs and services.
8. Engaging the County Extension Advisory Council members to inform needs assessments and program evaluations.
9. Other responsibilities to meet the needs of clientele and key partners such as the NH Div. of Forests & Lands, NH Fish & Game, US Forest Service, and USDA NRCS.
10. Serve as the County Office Administrator, if the need is identified, on a rotating basis.
Required: Master’s in forestry or a closely related field (exceptional candidates with a forestry BS and 3 years’ experience may be considered); ability to become a NH Licensed Forester; experience in extension or related programming; driver’s license, vehicle and ability to work some nights and weekends.
Preferred: Expertise in a sub-specialty related to climate change and/or recreational impacts in the context of forest management; previous experience in outreach program design and evaluation, virtual content design. See https://jobs.usnh.edu/postings/38485 for complete details.
Contact Name: Steven Roberge
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (603) 862-4861