Log Yard Manager/Scaler
St. Juste, Maine
LV Timber Company, LLC (LVTC), LandVest, Inc.’s timber marketing division, has a career opportunity available for a dedicated and skilled employee. LVTC is the regional marketer of timber for LandVest clients that sells on average 275,000 cord equivalents of timber annually into pulpwood and sawtimber markets across Quebec and the US. As a key player in the markets of the northeastern US with a positive track record of over 11 years of marketing timber LVTC provides great career opportunity to interested candidates.
LVTC is seeking a Log Yard Manager/Scaler for our St Juste, ME log yard, located 4-miles east of the Quebec border on the St. Juste Road. Weekly schedule will vary depending on wood flow volumes and other commitments. This is an in-woods position that will likely require spending Monday through Wednesday nights on the US side of the St Juste border crossing at LandVest provided housing. If a candidate resides in Quebec close to the border there may be less need to stay in the woods during the week.
Frequent Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee daily operation of the Yard
• Monitor the inflow and outflow of forest products, trucking, and grading/scaling of logs to meet current specifications and markets
• Prepare trip tickets for outgoing shipments and verify compliance with trip tickets on incoming loads
• Schedule loads in conjunction with LVTC Director for delivery to various mills based on quotas and volume commitments
• Weigh trucks in and out of yard
• Oversee contractors processing treelength hygrade
• Sort, prepare and merchandise high value/veneer logs
• Prepare or oversee the preparation by operations support staff of:
*Weekly yard delivery & shipment reports by contract and in compliance with Certification Chain of
*Inventory reports based on a physical yard inventory protocol
• Provide quality updates on deliveries to regional operations foresters
• Communicate with LVTC Director on a regular basis
• Communicate with regional foresters on volume, product & species market preferences
Occasional Duties and Responsibilities:
• Visit harvest units to inspect bucking & sorting
• Prepare annual budget of yard improvements
• Schedule truck scale maintenance & calibration
• Assist regional foresters with harvest layout, timber marking, cruising and/or boundary line maintenance
• Communicate with mill procurement personnel & LVTC Director on market demands, quality issues, new market development
Desired Qualifications – any combination of the following will be considered:
• A Maine Wood Scaler License is required. LVTC will consider any candidate willing to immediately apprentice toward and achieve their license.
• Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Forestry from an SAF accredited program preferred
• Log scaling or log yard experience
• Bi-lingual (English & French) skills preferred, but not required
• Experience with certified Chain of Custody requirements
• Must be willing to work outdoors year-round in all weather conditions.
• Technical competency – Handheld data recorders, Excel
• Reliable, north Maine woods ready 4WD vehicle required
Pay and Benefits:
• Full time salaried position reporting to Joseph G. Daley, III the Director of LV Timber
• Benefits include medical, dental, 401K with match, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave.
• Incentives paid for generating new work and meeting budgets (profit sharing).
• Expense and mileage reimbursement. Annual stipend for personal vehicle use with appropriate gear.
• Reimbursement for professional dues, licenses, continuing education.
Contact Name: Grechen Askins
Contact Email: Gaskins@landvest.com
Contact Phone: 603-290-5660