Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection
Pomfret Center, CT
Want to put your forestry degree to good use stewarding local forests and educating the public on the value of working lands? We’re hiring a forester for our procurement team to help us manage local working woodlands in CT and provide a supply of sustainable timber for our sawmill. In business over 57 years, Hull Forest Products is the largest sawmill in southern New England, managing over 40,000 acres of client lands and producing wood products with worldwide distribution. We are looking for a forester to join our team and help our vertically integrated manufacturing business and woodland management division to thrive.
What you’ll do:
• Educate current and prospective clients on the benefits of forest management and long term planning. Develop and maintain relationships with landowners, loggers, and suppliers.
• Implement log procurement strategies to help our sawmill produce hardwood timber and lumber.
• Collect forest inventory cruise data and mark trees for removal according to various management prescriptions. Locate and flag property boundaries using aerial photographs and land deeds; lay out skid roads, wetland/stream crossings; select landing areas and create harvest maps.
• Ensure clear and regular communication with landowning clients; coordinate with timber harvesting crews to create customized solutions and achieve landowner goals.
• Perform public outreach by leading forestry walks each year and attending various public events.
What you’ll need:
• Four year degree in Forestry and ability to get a CT forestry license.
• Ability to work and hike in rugged terrain and inclement weather and the ability to lift a minimum of 40 pounds
• An understanding of forestry operations
• Ability to read and follow GIS data and maps; ability to work independently.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Availability and desire to travel throughout the service area, company vehicle provided.
• Ability to navigate using a map and compass, identify local tree species, apply forestry concepts and prescriptions to enhance forest potential and achieve landowner goals.
• Organizational skills; working knowledge of computers and programs, file creation, manipulation and sharing.
What you’ll get:
• Career opportunities in Forestry
• A company repeatedly recognized as a top performer in the industry.
• The opportunity to work in the great outdoors and help conserve working woodlands in New England
• A company vehicle for commuting purposes & cell phone.
• Competitive wages & benefits including health insurance/401K, vacation/sick time, and discounted wood products. Pay rate based on qualifications & experience.
If a career in forestry with Hull Forest Products excites you, please apply by emailing your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (800) 353-3331. Address: 101 Hampton Road, Pomfret Center, CT 06259 USA.
Additional Information: https://www.hullforest.com
Contact Name: Mike Bartlett
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: 860-974-0127