Seven Islands Land Company
Founded in 1964 in Bangor, Maine, Seven Islands Land Company manages the Pingree Family timberlands and manufacturing assets in northern and western Maine. Committed to a sustainable forest management mindset that has guided this 820,000-acre working forest since the early 19th century, our Company is dedicated to bettering the environment, strengthening our industry, and supporting the people in the communities in which we live and work. We are always looking for talented people who live our core values and are passionate about the sustainable management of our forest resources. Our employee’s diverse talents and creative problem-solving skills are what makes us a successful and an exciting place to work.
Seven Islands is currently accepting applications for an Operations Forester position in our 460,000-acre Acadian unit based out of Ashland, Maine. This is a full time, exempt position, with competitive pay and benefits dependent on skills and experience. This position will work collaboratively with our entire Woodlands team to successfully fulfill our landowner and management objectives.
Essential Job Functions and Competencies:
• Planning and preparation for harvest operations including harvest area reconnaissance and layout of sensitive areas, riparian areas, regulatory, wildlife, and social features.
• Forest road planning, layout, and monitoring road construction and road maintenance activities.
• Timber merchandizing, utilization, and quality control, including completion of service contractor performance inspections.
• Planning, monitoring, and administration of timber stand improvement (TSI) activities such as precommercial thinning, planting, site preparation, and competition control.
• Forest protection activities such as installation, monitoring, and collection of spruce budworm traps and branch samples.
• Preparation and filing of appropriate permits, notifications, and other documentation
• Implement silvicultural prescriptions in alignment with our mission and vision, our landowner objectives, and that maximize the future value of the forest.
• Ensure compliance with internal riparian and forest operations policies, state and federal forestry and land use regulations, conservation easements, BMPs, and SFI and FSC principles.
• Maintain harvest plan and spatial/tabular detail for forest inventory maintenance, including timely and complete operations updates for GIS records, permitting, and/or management planning.
• Interact with the public, government agencies and other industry professionals.
• Strong advocate for safety within the team and throughout the operation.
• Build strong relationships and maintain frequent and transparent communication with service contractors, peers, and supervisors.
• Forecasting and tracking operations progress by area, volume, value, and/or time.
• A strong philosophy of continual improvement.
• Ability to work collaboratively with Service Contractors to efficiently and effectively meet landowner and other management objectives.
• A minimum of AS degree in forestry
• Possession of a current Maine Forester’s License or the ability to obtain a Maine Forester’s License
• A valid driver’s license with a good driving record
• Ability to work independently outside in all weather conditions and remote locations
• A strong understanding of common forest management tools and activities such as compass use, GPS, map orientation, aerial photo, satellite imagery, and raster image interpretation, GIS competency, and tree species and wood product identification.
• A working knowledge of the full suite of Microsoft Office Suite productivity tools such as Excel, Outlook, MS Word, Access, and Power Point
• Up to 25% travel time, including potential nights away from home staying at our in-woods management camp
• Effective written and oral communication
• Strong safety values
Compensation and Benefits:
• Salaried position with eligibility for an annual bonus
• Company vehicle
• 16 paid holidays
• Paid sick time
• Paid vacation time
• Health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance
• 401(k) retirement plan with company match
• Salary Range: $50,000 – $65,000
Qualified applicants should email a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Information: https://www.sevenislands.com
Contact Name: Laura Hollis
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: 207-947-0541