Woodlands Partnership Coordinator
New England Forestry Foundation
New England Forestry Foundation
The New England Forestry Foundation (NEFF) is an advocate for innovative forest-based natural climate solutions. NEFF is a conservation landowner that actively manages forest land, a generator of new information and science on issues involving improved forest practices and an active collaborator in support of ecologically aligned forestry. Through the application of our core expertise in conserving forestland and advancing Exemplary Forestry, New England Forestry Foundation (NEFF) helps the people of New England to sustain their way of life, protect forest wildlife habitat and ecosystem services, and mitigate and adapt to climate change. NEFF has protected one of every three acres of land conserved in New England this century and is one of the three largest land trusts in the nation by acres conserved.
This position posting comes in the context of a significant period of growth for NEFF focused on how climate-smart forestry on private lands can be implemented across New England and as a national and international model. The USDA recently awarded NEFF a $30 million grant for the New England Climate Smart Commodities Partnership project. This program represents an unprecedented opportunity to pilot scalable, carbon-saving forest management practices as part of a systems approach including forestland protection, wildland preservation and building with wood to store carbon and displace carbon-intensive materials.
This position is a full-time role (37.5 hours per week) helping to advance the Woodlands Partnership of Northwest Massachusetts (established as Mohawk Trail Woodlands Partnership (MTWP) enabled by 2018 state law), a regional collaboration focused on conservation and economic development that sustains the area’s forests and natural resources while enhancing the rural way of life for its residents. This position reports to the Woodlands Partnership’s Administrative Agent based at NEFF, funded through a state contract extending at least until June 2025, with the possibility of extension. This role will combine direct administrative and operational coordination of the Partnership’s 31-member board and standing committees, as well as communications/public relations, and grant-writing, budgeting and reporting in support of the Partnership’s high-priority programs.
• Communicating with members of a large Board of Directors, representing municipalities, regional organizations and state and federal agencies, as well as Committee Chairs, for meeting scheduling and event planning logistics.
• Work with the Partnership Board to set priorities for implementation of the 2023 10-year Partnership Plan and coordinate researching and drafting funding proposals to support implementation of the Plan.
• Supporting the Budget and Finance Committee with a calendar of grant deadlines, targeted grant writing, and administration of grants received for Partnership priorities.
• Executive assistance for Agenda drafting and public posting in accordance with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Open Meeting Law, and support for volunteer Board member minute-taking and posting.
• Providing timely response to public records requests.
• Creating and posting engaging web/blog content and event notices, as well as video recordings to a public web site and supporting a web site re-launch project with a design consultant.
• Supporting educational webinars and meeting hosting with coordination on platforms including Zoom or Teams and using technology to schedule and host “hybrid” meetings (combination of in-person and remote attendees).
• Supporting the Education, Outreach, and Research Committee to engage in targeted social media and other public relations activity to promote the Woodlands Partnership and its goals.
• Periodic co-hosting events including forest walks on topics such as conservation, climate change, and forest stewardship and coordinating of guest speakers/facilitators and support for PowerPoint or other presentations.
• Developing and creating flyers, brochures, and other educational materials as needed.
• Drafting and editing content for a quarterly e-newsletter.
• Occasional publicizing of calendar events and news releases to local and regional media.
• Potential advertising for and supporting selection and oversight of contractors for specific tasks/projects.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
• Valid driver’s license and ability to attend in-person, daytime, or evening meetings at various locations within the 21-town geography of Northwest Massachusetts (northern Berkshire and western Franklin counties).
• An engaging and cordial demeanor in person, on webinars and by phone, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse colleagues, as well as members of the public.
• Ability to work with multiple leaders, balancing and prioritizing tasks.
• Ability to meet deadlines and work effectively with minimal supervision.
• Extremely organized and detail oriented in one’s own work. Enjoys organizing the work of others.
• Excellent writing and speaking skills.
• Fluency with Microsoft Office programs including at minimum Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Proficient with electronic media including e-newsletters and web sites.
• A passion for and commitment to the values of New England Forestry Foundation and the Woodlands Partnership, including forest management, conservation, maintaining climate stability, education and rural sustainability.
• Preference for a background in environmental studies, forestry, business, sustainability, or related fields.
• Preference for experience with design software such as InDesign or similar layout program.
• Experience in writing, reporting on or administering state or federal grants.
• Fluency with social media and managing social media accounts on behalf of an organization or initiative.
• Passion for forest conservation and stewardship.
• Residence in or near northwestern Massachusetts or ability to travel there for meetings, including at least three Board meetings a year, and periodic events as needed.
• Understanding of the politics, culture and physical geography of rural northwestern Massachusetts or a willingness to learn.
Working Conditions/Physical Effort
• Work will periodically involve irregular hours, such as attending evening meetings.
• Work typically occurs in an office and requires only light office duties in terms of physical activity, with occasional need for lifting boxes of brochures or hands-on support for volunteer activities such as tree-planting.
• Work will require travel within the Northwest Massachusetts geography and occasional travel to Littleton or Boston, MA.
Compensation, Location & Other Information
• Salary for this position is commensurate with experience (Salary range $45,000 – $50,000 annual salary to start with full benefits additional to salary).
• New England Forestry Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees including health insurance, paid time off, parental leave, and a congenial and flexible working environment.
• Location for this position is flexible within the New England region. It will require periodic travel to NEFF’s headquarters in Littleton, Massachusetts, and ability to travel throughout Northwest Massachusetts.
New England Forestry Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. NEFF commits to respecting and learning from different perspectives, reflecting the diverse citizens and communities of New England. In hiring, mentoring, and managing staff, the organization seeks to maintain a diverse, supportive, friendly, and discrimination-free workplace.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample via email to Kim Doherty at email@example.com with the subject line “Woodlands Partnership Coordinator position.”
Additional Information: https://newenglandforestry.org/about/careers-2/
Contact Name: Kim Doherty
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: 9789526856